One of the most underdeveloped action plans by job seekers is to participate in volunteer opportunities within their community.
Volunteering provides a unique assortment of networking benefits that just can’t be replicated by social media or conferences!
Consider these benefits:
- Conversation Availability: most volunteer projects last a minimum of a couple hours. This provides plenty of time for meaningful banter and conversation with your fellow volunteers.
- Shared Passion: every person serving clearly shares your passion for the project you all signed up for.
- Diverse Contacts: chances are, each volunteer has a different day job. Get to know these people, their industries and any upcoming opportunities worth keeping on your radar.
- Skillset Expansion: if you gain a new skill while volunteering, so much the better! Consider updating your resume.
- New Experience: maybe you’ll volunteer so often that you’re asked to fill a leadership or planning role. The benefit this brings to your resume can’t be overstated.
And let’s not forget the obvious: volunteering is simply a great way to contribute to your community!